The sale of the Coos Bay (Ore.) World, the Western World in Bandon and the Umpqua Post in Reedsport to Country Media, Inc. was announced yesterday. Country Media president Steve Hungerford said the transaction will close Jan. 31.
The newspapers are being sold to Country Media by Southwest Oregon Publishing Co., a wholly owned subsidiary of Lee Enterprises Incorporated, which has owned the Coos Bay newspaper since 2005 when it acquired Pulitzer, Inc.
Country Media is a 20-year-old, family-owned company with its central office in Salem, Oregon. The company bought the Del Norte Triplicate and Curry Coastal Pilot last July. Country Media also owns non-daily community newspapers serving Lincoln City, Tillamook, Manzanita, Cannon Beach, Clatskanie and St. Helens, Oregon; Langdon and Bowman, North Dakota; and Baker, Montana.
Dirks, Van Essen, Murray & April, a media merger and acquisition firm based in Santa Fe, New Mexico represented Lee Enterprises in the transaction.
Lee Enterprises is a publicly traded media company headquartered in Davenport, Iowa that also owns dailies in Corvallis and Albany, Oregon.
Steve Hungerford said, “We certainly had not set out to buy additional newspaper companies so soon after settling into Brookings and Crescent City. But when approached with the opportunity to purchase The World and its two sister publications, it was a logical fit with our other news media on the Oregon coast. We’ll now have more people and resources available to make our individual publications here even stronger.”
No terms of the transaction were announced.
- Fairfield Sun Times
- Oregon Coast
- States Of The United States
- Country Media Inc.
- The Umpqua Post
- Central Oregon And Pacific Railroad
- Lee Enterprises
- The World
- Coos County, Oregon
- Coos Bay, Oregon
- Confederated Tribes Of Siletz Indians
- Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association
- Media In The United States
- Dirks, Van Essen
- Lee Enterprises Incorporated
- North Dakota
- Media Merger
- Murray & April
- Pulitzer Inc.
- Lincoln City
- Southwest Oregon Publishing Co.
- St. Helens
- Southwest Oregon
- Non-daily Community Newspapers
- Del Norte Triplicate
- News Media
- Crescent City
- Steve Hungerford
- Cannon Beach
- Van Essen
- Coos Bay
- Santa Fe
- New Mexico
- Curry Coastal
- 'It was almost like we were saying goodbye': Sonic workers ate together before shooting
- Rarified air: college runners flock to Flagstaff during pandemic
- Stories of Old Nevada: Yerington
- Enbridge Line 3 Replacement Project Receives Federal Permits
- Dalton, Cowboys hope to turn corner ahead of Thanksgiving showdown
- New Orleans Saints quarterback Taysom Hill took advantage of earned opportunity
- Missouri to play Vanderbilt instead of Arkansas on Saturday
- JSU men: SEC Network picks up Gamecocks' opener at Alabama
- Augusta Has New Game Warden
- Four Additional Deaths and 540 Additional Cases in Cascade County
- Great Falls Elks Lodge Presents Check To Fairfield Food Pantry
- Police blotter: Stolen vehicle recovered; sixth DUI; disappearing nails
- Police blotter: Assault in parking lot; tools stolen from job site; alleged elder abuse
- Montana will again join innovative program promoting cybersecurity
- Helena Valley homicide suspect arrested; victim identified
- Montana State Hail board sets virtual meeting for Dec. 1
- John Frank Bouma
- MSU Extension; law professor discuss release of electronically stored information
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our daily news? Signup today!